In June of 1930, Mrs. John N. Carey invited several friends to her lovely home, Haverway Farm, to discuss forming a garden club in Indianapolis. Those in attendance were keenly interested and by November they had drawn up a constitution, various committees, and an organizational structure. Right away, the group had more in mind than social meetings and tea. A conservation committee was formed for the “preservation of wild flowers, plants, and trees”, for billboard and roadside improvement, and for horticultural shows. Other early club activities included lectures on gardening, scholarships to deserving students for study in horticulture or conservation, civic beautification projects, as well as participation in flower shows.
The Indianapolis Garden Club became a charter member of the Indiana Federation of Garden Clubs in 1932 and was admitted to the Garden Club of America in 1939. The original constitution, although altered with changing times, is a tribute to the early foresight of those forward thinking women. Then, as now, their words are still adhered to and remain relevant—“to stimulate the knowledge and love of gardening; to aid in the protection of native plants; and to encourage civic improvements.”
Today, over one hundred twenty IGC members work to support conservation, environmental education, horticulture, photography, and community projects. Over $500,000 has been contributed to worthy projects thanks to proceeds raised by the Garden Walk. Whether working locally or nationally through projects with the GCA, the Indianapolis Garden Club remains steadfast in its commitment to enriching the environment in which we live.